December 18, 2018

I want to become a pilot, how do I get started?

We believe you probably have an ambition or dream to learn to fly, however, you don’t know if you like it or have an aptitude for it or not until you fly once. A Trial Introductory Flight (TIF) is a good starting point. If you are uncertain about learning to fly, or if you just want to get airborne to “feel what it is like” before you commence training, a Trial Introductory Flight is an air experience flight; a way of sampling flight training without making any commitment to joining the school.

After the TIF, if you are happy to continue and become a pilot, then the first thing to ask yourself is whether you want to fly for fun, or for a career. The answer to this question will determine the training you need to do and the licences you need to hold.

The Recreational Pilot Licence (RPL) is your first step. This course teaches you the basics of flying and builds towards your first solo flight. Once you achieve your RPL you are able to fly CASA-approved aircraft up to 25nm from your departure aerodrome and carry up to 3 passengers.

The Private Pilot Licence (PPL) introduces navigation training, and PPL holders can fly CASA-approved aircraft anywhere in Australia with up to 5 passengers. The RPL and PPL do not allow you to take on paid work as a pilot.

If you want to work as a pilot and be paid to fly, you will need to complete the Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL) course. If you commence a CPL course from the beginning, then the training will take you through RPL and PPL syllabus before moving onto CPL syllabus. If you already hold a PPL you can start the CPL syllabus.

Learn To Fly offers beginner courses like the Learn To Fly Starter Set and Learn To Fly First Solo programs that allow you to get a taste of flying before committing to further training. All of the training in these courses can be applied as prior learning for students who do wish to proceed further.